Cat-Cow stretch is a nice yoga sequence that bring mobility and strength to your shoulder blades. It is a combine flow between cat pose and cow pose to massage the spine and prepare the body for the action. With this 2 minutes flexibility training practice you obtain a better foundation for all the trainings that bare weight in your hands.
- Pull your shoulder blades together behind the heart, you’ll feel your ribs drop toward the floor, held up like a hammock.
- Press your hands actively into the floor and press the lower angle of the scapulae forward into the ribs as if you could tuck the bottom tips of the scaps into your armpits.
- As the shoulder blades press forward into the ribs, the breast bone will also be pressed forward, isolating the most action of the backbend into the space behind the heart. The low back remains supported by the abdominal action.
- Press the palms and ankles into the floor. Externally rotate your arm bones in toward the armpits. Keep the elbows soft and unlocked so your muscles can truly engage in a meaningful way.
- Pull the entire shoulder blade forward around the ribs, your chest muscles are very active here.
- Continue to pull your organs deeply into the spine using the abdominal muscles.
- Hinging in the mid-spine, tuck the breast bone back into the chest, you may feel that your spine both lengthens & widens.
BENEFITS OF THE 2 MINUTE CAT-COW ROUTINE
It improves posture and balance, Strengthens and stretches the spine and neck, stretches the hips, abdomen and back, increases coordination, massages and stimulates organs in the belly, like the kidneys and adrenal glands, creates emotional balance and relieves stress and calms the mind.
Remember, this quick 2 minutes flexibility training cat-cow routine strengthens your spine, neck, shoulders and hands. It really improves the body balance and prepares you for the following training program. You can use this flexibility cat-cow routine as a break from your long hours working time sitting in front of the computer. It keeps your body healthy and your mind sane.